Sunday, February 14, 2010

Religion & My Name Is Khan


As everyone know, I was born in a Muslim family. Hence I am a Muslim. A practicing Muslim – not a fanatic Muslim but I like to believe I am a moderate Muslim.

At the age of 22, I married a Hindu but was still practicing the religion since I couldn’t bring myself to convert to Hinduism. Nor was I ever forced by anyone on my in-laws side to convert or start practicing the Hindu religion. I was one of those lucky people who was/is blessed with such understanding and supportive in-laws.

I saw the movie My Name Is Khan today. The main point in the movie he was/is trying to make is “My Name is Khan and I am not a terrorist” ie not every Muslim is a terrorist.

I came out of the movie with another point. There 2 types of people in this world. There are good people and the bad people. There is a man with a stick hitting a child hence he is bad. There is a man giving a lollipop to a child, hence he is good. So lets compare these 2 people and decide - who is the Muslim and who is the Hindu. And seriously - this is one funda that registered and something that I could totally relate to.

Now the main point – religion. I was born in a Muslim family, hence I am a Muslim. If I were to be born in a Christian family, my faith would be Christianity etc etc.

- I believe that the color of my blood and any other person is RED. The blood won’t say I am a Muslim and the other blood is a Hindu or Buddhist or Christian.

- I believe no religion teaches you to be bad and there is no such thing as a bad religion.

- I believe that because you are born into that religion, your beliefs always lies there though there are exceptions where people do convert but mainly you remain in the faith you are born into.

Living in Singapore, I come across all religions. Touch wood, there has never been any major riots or fights in the name of religion. I was once in Delhi when a fight broke up between the Hindus and the Muslims and so many people were killed in the name of religion. It was painful and I couldn’t understand why they don’t see the point that you are taking a person’s life who happens to be someone's bro/sis/son/daughter which you don’t have any right to do. You building hatred in yourself and generating negative energy around you.

During that period, this uncle was visiting from Jaipur and when he learned that I am a Muslim, he refused to drink water that I had served. He ended up insulting my in-laws and walking out of the house. The hatred and also the fear on his face is something that I will never forget – it was so vivid – so strong. How can you hate someone just because he/she was born into that religion and/or believes in that religion.

In comparison, during one Diwali in Delhi, I was at a friend’s house during the Diwali pooja. Vibhor’s mom gave me a diya and asked me to participate in the ceremony, knowing full well that I am a Muslim. Vibhor’s mom didn’t force me to chant or sing or anything – just stand there with the family. It was an enlightening experience to watch how other’s perform their prayers, the rituals, the actions and be part of the celebration. Compared to the Jaipur Uncle, Vibhor’s mom holds a special place in my heart just because she did not discriminate me being a Muslim though she herself is a staunch Hindu.

And that’s the way I have brought up my daughters. Forget religion, just be a good human being. If you can sleep with a clear conscience every night, you are a good person. And whatever the religion, God only preaches good teaching and encourages you to be a good person doing good deeds.

I could totally relate to this movie and I encourage everyone to watch it. Hopefully we will come out and be a good person – the person who gives out lollipop instead of taking a stick to hit people!

shalini

3 comments:

Urmi said...

Oh! well written. And I know for a fact that you and Sheena are lovely people and thats all that matters. Religion is a personal choice and everyone has to find their own mode.

jps said...

For once a Shahrukh movie passed your standards! :)

Joe Fox said...

wowwwwwww....i never knew u can write so well. like your thinking attitude. you r really a good friend....no doubt...take care ..sanjeeva