Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Oh wat a nite

You know the famous old song – oh what a night by Frankie Valli. Well sheens 18 birthday was such a night for me.. Such an eye opener it was and a big wake up call for me. And I just have been singing that song since that nite!

It all started well and hunky dory with her godma and sunil coming to buy her breakfast and wishing her. Then some of her close friends came over home to surprise her – then proceeding on to the bbq venue for the big bash.

Wait before that – she wanted a magazine like the one I did for Parul & Victor for their birthday. So had to do that project for her too. Chasing everyone for their write ups and photos. And guess wat – as usual – its my gang who delays it. Her school mates were fabulous – they replied and wrote and the only ones I had to chase was my gang – the adults! The last writer was Montu bhaiya!

Anyways magazine made and waiting to be given to her. Guess what sheens did? She sets an alarm on her watch for 3am. Everyone is asleep and she goes to my handbag, takes out the magazine and sits in the toilet reading her magazine. Oh child, couldn’t you wait a few more hours – it would have been given to you – its yours!

So back to D-Day. Caterers came, set up the food and I was politely told – mum please go away. I go up to Parul’s place to help her cook.

10 mins later a frantic phone call – “Mummy! The security guard is here. What’s the unit number and the block number that was used to book the bbq pit?” I panicked and looked out of the balcony – and guess wat – the kids are in the swimming pool with their clothes on. Apparently they were thrown in as they came for the party. Hence the security guard.


Other highlights:

- Nandini walks in looking so pretty and gorgeous in a really nice dress. Next thing I know – she’s thrown into the pool - totally drenched and wet and laughing. Oh yes – laughing. She’s totally ok with it – if someone did that to me – I will kill the person – personally!

- When I came back from Parul’s place, I see bottles of liquor on one table. I approach the kids and say – excuse me how old are you guys that you are drinking. Guess wats the answer was – “Auntie we are old enough to drink – we all above 18 hence above the legal age” – oh god. I start hyperventilating.

- A friend of Sheens comes and says:
Friend: “Auntie can we give Sheena drinks?”
Me: “Look my child – in my books sheena is only legal and allowed to drink when she reaches 25!!!!!!”

- An hour later:
Friend: “Auntie – can we dump sheena in the swimming pool?”
Me: “Please do so after all her guest arrives – at least after 7.30pm”

Now why would you want to do that – she’s looking fantastic in her new dress that her godma & didi(s) bought for her. It’s a $100 dress that she is wearing for the 1st time. Why would you want to dunk her in the pool? Where is the logic here?

- This girl lifts her t-shirt and she has the hives on her body. It really scary – blood patches all over her body. First thing in my mind was – where is the nearest doctor – forget doc – what’s the ambulance number… And the child is saying – its ok auntie. It happens whenever I drink – oh child – then why do you drink!!!! Aiyo

- Another friend of sheens – goes around repeatedly telling parul and me – “Auntie I am a really good boy you know. I really am. You not upset with me are you?” Yes – you guessed it – he was talli.. totally talli

Anyways it goes on and on and on…By the end of it, I was tired, cranky and totally hysterical.

Lesson learnt – never ever again! No way. I am too old for this – I really am.

The outcome - the birthday girl is happy and over the moon - she has at least 8 albums on facebook for her birthday photos - her friends are apparently happy too - she loves her magazine!

One week later –
Sheena: Mom there is a chalet during the june holidays. May I go?
Me: With whom?
Sheena: Same gang – those who attended my birthday party.
Me: No way – you dream baby.

After much negotiation – she gets to go. She will pay me cab fare from her allowance to spot check on her 3 times everyday. And if her 2 best friends – Jared or Fei Yin (or she for that matter) - are drinking and I smell liquor on them – I have every right to drag her home by her hair

Yippee – such a good deal – I am so happy now. Though she still arguing over - Why Jared? Why Fei Yin? Rules are rules babe - (Evil Grin!)

shalini

No comments: