Tuesday, July 8, 2008

I'm Blessed

I am BLESSED. I have angels looking after me day in day out. I realised this at the end of my birthday dinner last nite.

I'm 41 - yippee. Old? Is it just a number? Is in the heart? Is it in the mind? God knows.. all I know is I am truly happy.

The first bday wish came on fri - with rajiv calling me up saying
R: "Jaan i just want to wish you happy birthday. I cant make it tonite to cut cake"
Me: "Idiot - its not my bday yet. My bday is on Tuesday"
R: But Parul sent me an sms saying its today

Aiyo... Rajiv Stephen Banerjee - I just give up on you!

On Monday celebrations started. Went lunch with family (kids and parul), went Number 5 in the evening with Parul, Mani, Kat, Kim & Victoria and cut my 1st bday cake.

Came rushing home by 10pm and started cleaning the house. First thing I did was - take out all the eggs from the fridge and hid it under the bed. As most of you remember, last year hospitalisation started with Montu Bhaiya breaking an egg on my head!

So now safe - no egg breaking this year on my head. No hospital. Red wine, white wine, beer and cider in the fridge. And waited and waited. Sharp 12 - in walks Gana, Parul, Sunil and Victor with the cake. Cut my 2nd bday cake.

Surprise was that this time there was no cake smearing on the face also. Every year, every bday I get smash with cream and cake all over my face and hair. I guess last year must have been really scared or freaked them out. But then, who wants to go thru last year's agony again... Phew

Took the day off from work, so stayed home and chilled. Talked to everyone on phone and sms. Everyone remembered. Wow.

SMS started with Girish, Mandy, Ashish, Zainab, Swetha, Chisty, Devendra, Jasbir, Kathryne, Wai Kit, Montu Bhaiya, Gana, Poonam, Urmi, Jackie, ED, Shradha, Yanti, Jacqueline, Aru, Praveen, Ajay, Meetu, Lala, Mohit, Minky

Calls from Sheens, Dad & Mom (early morning), Nisha, Chunnu Bhaiya, Anjali & Praveen, Jay Jay, Shana, Gayathri, Meenu, Nidhi, Praveen, Priya, Bhavna, Bhabhi, Ravi Topo, Hani Bhaiya, Jeeya and Tanya

Emails from Anil, Diana, Shakun, Tony, Amrita, Joyee, Lesly, Saerrah

Then the highlight of the day - the DINNER. I never knew so many people - so many of my friends could keep a secret. Parul refuse to tell me the venue. Dinner was at 7.30pm. Till that time, I had no clue where dinner was. Noone - not even my own kids - ALL - refused to tell me where it is. Let it be a surprised was all they could say.

Well it was. It was touching, very meaningful to me and very humbling. The gang was there. My immediate extended family was there. Every single one of them. Aayush, Anjali, Gana, Montu Bhaiya, Nidhi, Parul, Rakhee, Rajiv, Rohini, Sid, Sunil, Victor, and Kids. Cut my 3rd bday cake!

It was fun - awesome - amazing - humbling day : All the sms-es, calls, lunches, dinners : To know that I am surrounded and blessed by so many loving people in my life. So here's to you my friends - You make a difference in people lives especially mine. All I can say is May god bless everyone with close friends like mine.

So what do I have at the end of 41 years:
- marvelous kids
- authentic friends
- tons of jewellery
- beautiful home
- good health (after last year's fiasco!)
- peace
- some wisdom!

Firstly - Thank you god for I am really blessed! Secondly - Thank you Parul, you made it a very very special day for me.

And the party goes on this week with lunches, dinners and a fervent prayer that this freebies last for at least the next 2-3 weeks.

The belated bday calls and sms continues as we speak with Neha Bakshi, Rajesh, Deven, Loga, Teghjeet, M K, Girish Kamat, Pavan, Pramod, Chaya, Abhishek, AJ, James, Shaan, Sheela, Shivangi, Shashank, Pankaj, Ravin, Neha S, Zeenat, Shabab, Deven (with beautiful flowers),....

PS - dinner was at Cafe Iguana, Riverside. Apparently i forgot to mention tat. Sorry Jacqueline... aiyo - m really getting old

shalini

2 comments:

jps said...

ok sista - so you wrote everything EXCEPT where the hell was dinner held???????? the very thing you were dying to find out and you are now withholding????

Anonymous said...

Yayyyyyyy, you had a great time!
Of course you're blessed! Look at the amount of people wishing you a happy birthday and you had so many of your close friends as well as family with you on the day! :) That's the best thing in my opinion, before presents!